Docent & Volunteer Information
Docent Naturalist Training
Docent Naturalists lead hikes for elementary school groups. Training for this program is done once a year in January through March.
The Placerita Canyon Nature Center Associates
The Placerita Canyon Nature Center Associates is a 501c3 non-profit volunteer group that assists the County of Los Angeles in the operation of Placerita Canyon Natural Area. Following is a summary of what we are all about.
Mission Statement: To inspire a passion, awareness and respect for the environment, and to preserve and protect for future generations the history and ecosystem of Placerita Canyon.
We are the volunteer arm of the County-run Placerita Canyon Nature Center and Natural Area. We:
- Host programs
- Support our collection of local native wild animals
- Host annual events
- Invite the community to come to the center, learn about nature, our local history, and take a hike!
Community Outreach: Over the last 5 years, Placerita has opened our trails and programs to over:
- 70,000 grade school children from throughout L.A. County
- 450,000 visitors to the park and natural area
- 77,000 volunteer hours donated by our volunteer organization
Educational Programs: We host on-going educational programs for the community:
- Pre-school, K and 1st grade introduction to nature
- 2nd through 6th grade nature program
- School outreach programs
- Monthly Bird Walk
- Monthly Wildflower Walk
- Weekly Family Nature Hike and Animal Show
- Monthly Community Nature Education Program